Working toward a more resilient microelectronics supply chain, while also addressing national security risks:

Working toward a more resilient microelectronics supply chain, while also addressing national security risks:

“We can no longer clearly identify the pedigree of our microelectronics,” which are key to technologies like 5G as well as components in many weapons systems, Ellen Lord said. “Therefore, we can no longer ensure that backdoors, malicious code or data exfiltration commands aren’t embedded in our code.”

The United States is one of three countries that has microelectronics manufacturing capabilities, but according to a 2016 report from the Congressional Research Service, American microelectronics manufacturers have increasingly moved microchip fabrication plants abroad.

⤺ reposted by @MartinMakerInDisguise from Basically pack an extra coaT

Any grants (for new businesses) in the USA doing silicon fab? I would do that

I’d bet regulations, taxes and lack of qualified employable talent make this so expensive that if big tech won’t touch it with a ten feet pole you won’t get a loan anywhere close to start a business in this sector

That means less completion. I’m down