Shortage Report 10/18/2020

1. Sim Volk - Prepper Living Group: “Was at grocery store today. Both Nabisco and Pepperidge Farms had reps there. Nabisco told me there’s a nationwide shortage on peanut butter coming. They’ve already stopped making the PB crackers, etc. Pepperidge Farms told me they shut down the individual plants when someone sneezes, they send everyone home for the day and completely sanitize it all. Regardless if they have a mask on when it happens (further proof they don’t work). I was trying to get pretzel fish. Bottom line get it now if you can find it and need it. The next 6-9 months are gonna be interesting.”

2. “Carver Peanut Products. List of Products Made From Peanut By George Washington Carver.” “List of Peanut Products.”

3. Ok starting Shortages Report. Draw a hypothesis with the Intel for the next 6 months. Stop thinking like a civilian. Think like a Hedge Fund Manager, Quant and Intelligence Officer.

4. “How Peanut Butter and Butterflies Were Hit By The Pandemic. Very different under normal conditions, peanut butter and butterflies become rather similar during a coronavirus lockdown.”

5. “Is Walmart Prepping For Post Election Food Shortages Pandemic Surge Second Wave? Are grocery stores stockpiling food and holding it back for election chaos?”

6. “Tesco chairman warns of short-term food shortages after Brexit. In an interview with Bloomberg Television on Friday, John Allan said 'there may be some things we have to learn to do without for a few weeks, possibly a few months.’”

7. “In the event of a no-deal Brexit, shoppers will, literally, pay a heavy price. Imported food and drink from the EU will face eye-watering tariffs averaging 18%, kick-starting price rises. At the same time, border delays and disruption will bring further costs which will not be subsumed by industry. A no-deal outcome is bad for food and drink businesses, bad for food security, and bad for every household in Great Britain.”

8. “Don’t let virus trigger food shortage: PM. Stressing the importance of ensuring food security for all, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Friday said the people of Bangladesh must not suffer from food scarcity as a fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic, report agencies. “In this Covid-19 pandemic, we faced a cyclone, floods and other [problems], we’ve to live this way. But we’ve to ensure food security so that each and every person gets food at his or her home.” The Prime Minister said this while speaking at an international seminar marking the World Food Day. “Our country is very small in terms of its land size while our current population is 165 million. The most important thing is to ensure food security for such a huge population,” she said while inaugurating the seminar.”

9. “Isiolo and WFP partner to eradicate child malnutrition - People Daily. Isiolo County Government has partnered with the World Food Programme (WFP) to reduce acute child malnutrition and increase food security. Kenya: Isiolo County Government has partnered with the World Food Programme (WFP) to reduce acute child malnutrition and increase food security in the semi-arid region. The programme that initially targets the most hit regions is geared towards implementing sustainable nutritious food systems.”

10. “Access to safe food critical part of COVID-19 response — Green. Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, Floyd Green, has called on the country’s farmers to ramp up production in order to ensure the country’s food security, particularly in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19). The minister, who was delivering the keynote address at a digital ceremony to mark World Food Day today, said that maintaining access to safe and nutritious food “must be a critical part of our response to this pandemic”. “This is the time for not only expanding production of our current crops but also for crop diversification. With the impact of climate change, we must also seek to plant more drought-resistant varieties,” he noted.”

11. “Slow recovery ahead for agri-food sector. Canada’s recent September job market data is reassuring, overall. But for the agri-food sector, the reality is quite different. Overall, employment in the country increased in September, creating 378,000 jobs, the majority of which were full time. This increase in September brought total employment to 720,000, shy of the level we had before the pandemic. Obviously, children being back to school has helped bring some normalcy to our lives. For the economy, that’s very encouraging. The agricultural sector, however, is hiring far fewer people than at this time last year. There are 17,000 fewer jobs than in September 2019. An anemic food manufacturing sector may mean that some products will be out of stock from time to time, especially at the meat counter. And the situation could get worse. Raising wages to make the sector more attractive is one option. With industry going it alone, that could add to the pressure that retail prices are under, at the risk of raising the price of food.”

12. UK: “Rishi Sunak warned public sector’s food supply at risk. Companies providing food for care homes, schools, hospitals and prisons call for government support.”

13. “4 Week Emergency Food Supply. Ready Hour 4-Week Emergency Food Supply Ready Hour 4-Week Emergency Food Supply provides you with 284 servings of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, drinks, and snacks. Lasts up to 25 years in optimal storage conditions.”

14. “To prevent shortages, grocery chains, food brands prep for months ahead - Bizwomen. But we’re still seeing empty shelves.”

15. “Grocers Stockpile, Build ‘Pandemic Pallets’ Ahead of Winter. Grocery stores and food companies are preparing for a possible surge in sales amid a new rise in Covid-19 cases and the impending holiday rush.”

16. “There’s a Mason jar shortage right now — here’s how to pickle without them. Mason jars may seem like the only vessels for those sour snacks, but fortunately, they’re not.”

17. “The pandemic is keeping peanut farmers busy. Peanut consumption is at an all-time high.”

18. “Coronavirus: German minister warns against new wave of panic buying. Supermarkets raised flags about a spike in demand for goods like toilet paper, which saw severe shortages in lockdown. Germany’s Agriculture Minister said hoarding was not just “illogical” but also “lacks solidarity.” Supermarkets raised flags about a spike in demand for goods like toilet paper, which saw severe shortages in lockdown. Germany’s Agriculture Minister said hoarding was not just “illogical” but also “lacks solidarity.” The agriculture minister spoke specifically about hamsterkauf, a German term that defines panic buying and became one of the symbols of the pandemic lockdown experience in Germany. “Whoever is hoarding is not only acting illogically, but lacking solidarity. And in the end, many of these goods end up in the garbage can,” Klöckner said. Her comments come as large supermarket chains such as Aldi and Edeka reported a sharp rising demand for certain products, a pattern similar to what happened in March in the lead-up to lockdown measures being imposed.”

19. “Canadian municipalities gain access to Mitacs funding, talent, and solutions. Specialized knowledge and skills to advance innovation, policy, and local projects. Thanks to the Government of Canada and the provincial and territorial governments, municipalities can now partner with Mitacs, a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation by solving organizational challenges with research solutions from colleges and universities. Through Mitacs internship programs, municipalities can access a range of research expertise from Canada’s postsecondary institutions. Mitacs interns — ranging from college and polytechnic students, university undergraduate and graduate students, to postdoctoral fellows — can help municipalities address a broad range of challenges from infrastructure renewal including waterways and roads, to agricultural and food supply issues, to the unprecedented challenges emanating from the COVID-19 pandemic. Mitacs recognizes the crucial role that municipalities play in generating social and economic benefits to Canada, by providing critical services to citizens, building sustainable infrastructure, developing local solutions to serious global issues like climate change, and ensuring that economic growth is inclusive and meaningful. For example, in Ontario, Bruce Power and the Town of Saugeen Shores needed help understanding the implications of the unique labour market dynamics of a rural region in transition. Along with Mitacs support, they conducted a case study of the area to better understand how businesses and community leadership can better address the challenges and opportunities emerging from changing demographics and leading to enhanced economic development.” [This is what I was told about McKinsey trends earlier. Buying panic will approach similar to March.]

20. “Food security: Lagos seeks stakeholders’, investors’ collaboration. The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has called on stakeholders and private investors to join hands with the state government to boost food production and ensure food security.”

21. “One in seven Canadians is experiencing food insecurity during COVID-19, and its toll is heavier than hunger: report. Rooted in poverty, food insecurity impacts health, severs relationships, impinges on happiness and self-worth, and chips away at employment opportunities.”

22. “Pope repeats call to divert funds from military to fighting hunger. Repeating a call first made by St. Paul VI, Pope Francis urged a global move to divert money from national military spending and use it to “definitely defeat hunger.”

23. Silvio Tattisconie: “Lidl and Aldi Chairmen say you’re talking nonsense and scaremongering. Calais and Dover ports both say there will be a seamless transition and if memory serves me right cross channel food has been treated as if we’ve already left the EU, since May.”

24. “Supermarket chains write employee confirmations: is lockdown coming? A reader turned to Wochenblick with an interesting document: The REWE retail chain is said to have distributed confirmations to its employees on Saturday. They can use them to identify themselves to the authorities as workers in the critical infrastructure. The first lockdown began on March 16 in Austria. We received the document on Saturday from an employee of a Lower Austrian branch and have no doubt as to its authenticity. A corresponding request was also sent to the company, but an answer can only be assumed on the next working day. For tomorrow, Monday, Federal Chancellor Kurz has already announced that he will make an announcement. Rumors of a second lockdown have been making the rounds for over a month.”

25. “It is obviously starting again: Aldi and Edeka are reporting on increasing demand for certain products. Photos of empty shelves pop up. Agriculture Minister Klöckner says there is no reason to hoard. And agriculture minister Julia Klöckner (CDU) appeals to consumers not to buy larger quantities than usual despite the increasing number of corona infections. "There is no reason to hoard.”

26. “New hoarding from Aldi and Lidl: Germans stock up on toilet paper again. The corona infection numbers are rising again - and with them the sales figures for toilet paper at the discounters Aldi and Lidl. “In some regions and branches we are seeing a slight increase in demand for our hygiene range,” Lidl explained to “Wirtschaftswoche”. Aldi Süd also confirms: “We are currently seeing a slight increase in demand for individual products, including toilet paper, in our branches for the first time.”

27. Seyman Ak: “Toilet paper all shops sold out to almost sold out yesterday.”

28. “The supermarkets are fueling business with such attacks. Seen at the local ALDI. Rough translation: “Dear customers. In order to achieve a solidarity and supply for the general public, we have decided to introduce a sales limit (per customer) for the following articles. 5 x food (per type). Sugar / flour / rice / noodles, etc. We are sure to have an under-utilization. Your Aldi Süd team.” ["We are sure to have your support for that.”]

29. Christopher Jackson: “The 50 m-long queues to buy even remotely strong booze in Norway on a Saturday afternoon always make me laugh.”

30. Angeline Huck: “Americans don’t panic, he panicked…" Joe Biden I respectfully beg to differ sir.”

31. “Panic-buying returns to supermarkets as KL, Selangor enter second lockdown. It’s a COVID-Deja vu in Malaysia. This article, In pictures: Panic-buying returns to supermarkets as KL, Selangor enter second lockdown, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia’s leading alternative media company.”

32. Bakersbasco: “Bakers Basco GM warns the general public to ‘use one’s loaf’ and avoid panic buying as the possibility of a second nationwide UK lockdown hangs in the balance, to ensure demand doesn’t outstrip supply.”

33. Christian @ Ice Age Farmer: “Reports from all over the country from RURAL grocers of empty shelves–particularly of animal products. (Priority is given to urban grocers to manage perception of as many people as possible). What are you seeing?”

34. Umoja News: “Premium tears as empty shelves, empty halls devoid of clients adorn Tuskys Supermarket Buruburu branch. This is an end to an era.”

35. NewsBlog | breaking: “The second wave of coronavirus hits also Belgium. Grocery store shelves getting more and more empty. People start to stock up on toilet paper AGAIN.”

36. Mike: “While Whole Foods 365 brand spice shelves sit empty, I know a spice company that caters to restaurants and institutions could help keep those shelves stocked.”

37. “Jars shortage (none available, shelves have toilet paper instead) in OR, “People must be doing a lot of canning,” says store employee.”

38. “Crunchy peanut butter with flax and chia seeds shortage.”

39. “Depression-era foods that are weirdly making a comeback. Foods that were once popular in the Great Depression are making a comeback in 2020, as bare shelves and panic buying have made people get creative in the kitchen.”

40. “COVID-19 Poses Unique Challenges For Cotton And Peanut Industry. The effects of the coronavirus across the state are far reaching. Even if worldwide coronavirus cases decline, a vaccine is accessible and the world returns to normal, Brooks said it could take years for the cotton and peanut industry to recover.”

41. “‘A little bit of a challenge’: Baltimore-area breweries scramble for cans amid nationwide shortage.”

42. “Syrup Sandwiches and Powdered Eggs in the Time of Coronavirus. A writer reflects on the food she survived on as a kid during hard economic times.”

43. “Grocery Stores Are Preparing for Shortages of These Holiday Foods. If there’s one thing that could increase the already existing risk of grocery shortages this fall, it’s the holiday rush.”

44. “Experts Say Stock Up on These Products Before Fall + Winter. Are you still having issues finding certain products that disappeared when COVID-19 took over?”

45. “How Food Festival Organizers Are Creatively Pivoting in the Midst of a Pandemic. From drive-in theaters to virtual cooking classes, here’s how festivals are adapting.”

46. “From peanut butter to applesauce, Washington state stockpiles tons of food for the need ahead.”

47. “Pantries help keep Virginia families from hunger in pandemic.”

48. “The Supply Chain is Broken and Food Shortages Are HERE. Countries all over the world are experiencing supply chain problems. Food shortages are coming and there’s not much time left to prepare.”

49. “Stock up on Halloween candy before some tragedy makes that difficult. I’m not trying to be sensationalist here. I don’t have any secret inside information, and I don’t know for sure that there’s going to be a candy-related tragedy that siphons this last bit of joy right the heck out of this year.”

50. If peanut butter is being diverted to Halloween candy for the season, it adds to the potential for shortage. The same peanuts are being used to make both. The peanuts may have been diverted depending upon the contracts the plants and distributors have in place. Still need peanuts to make it regardless of how much sugar you’re adding, especially in industrial quantities. Note that peanuts are used in the process to create quinine… which is both in tonic water and also used as a precursor to hydroxychloroquine… Good eye!! We’re not relying on experts. We’re relying on our own analyses. So we’re practicing doing that. We want to know what the normies are being told because it shows us what they might not be told. What do you see when you look at all of these articles together? Where are the holes? What’s being left out? What doesn’t match up? Yes, the word “expert” is used to garner authority. But we know that already. What else? Two of our Walmarts have 7 to 10 shipping containers along the back and side of their store. When I did a pickup order, the guy kind of stuttered and said they were doing remodeling. The other employee wouldn’t even make eye contact. My son whispered… sssssoundssss suspicious. And HE thinks I’m crazy. Something is up. Maybe it’s just renovation. Maybe they are preparing for what’s to come. Why start renovation right at the holiday rush? This is what I notice at my stores being in shorter supply: Canned meat, Ramen noodles, Pasta Sauce, Flour, Rice. And specialty flavors on things. I buy Crystal Light iced tea lemon decaffeinated. Always stocked. Now never. Some soda flavors. Some rice dish flavors. I think we are going to notice the shortages hit this area first. Not so noticeable. Here and there. Then boom. NO rice. No soup. Etc. Just like before. Peanut butter is a huge protein source. People can survive on just 2 to 3 tablespoons a day. It’s our backup source when the canned meat is gone. A peanut butter shortage is a BIG deal. I think you’re right - no way they’re renovating prior to a rush that’s supposed to coincide with a “twindemic.” So, what do you think the story is with the shipping containers? I think they are stocking up on the items that disappeared with the first quarantine. Things that can be outside. I think they moved their softlines out there along with bikes, toys, surplus etc to make room for grocery. I went inside and I don’t see that anything has changed. This jives with the Fort Toilet Paper Costco image we saw earlier for sure. They probably don’t want to get caught at a loss for a second time. I’m not noticing a shortage on much of anything any more in my area other than cleaning supplies… It was slow over here. Flavors of things/selection, then ramen, then canned meats. No shortage in UK but we are being told in media that we are gonna get it after Brexit. The flavors that don’t sell as well are being shelved in favor of the ones that do, especially if it’s in an aluminum can. Coke zero was short for a bit. Then Diet Dr Pepper. I know soda is trash, but it stops me from moiderrr! lol. My lack of shortage could possibly be due to being at a major shipping hub for the US. Ohhh yes that might be it. Will.also help when trucks cant get through to other areas and states like we saw here in the U.S with the first round. Especially in areas with civil unrest. New York City was a biggie. My local Walmart has an additional 12 shipping containers on the side. So much renovation. I asked staff. No renovation ongoing or planned. I’m going to the store later, I’ll update from my neck of the woods. Lately things have been well stocked for the most part, noticeable shortages on TP and paper towels, and hand soap is becoming extremely difficult to find again. Bar soap is abundant but liquid is scarce. Very noticeable decline in the availability of generic OTC meds. Also one thing that stands out to me is that our choices are slowly being reduced (in the grocery store as in life). I am seeing a lot of discontinued and close-out merchandise that is specific to a certain brand, flavor, color, scent etc. I am finding this with everything from tea, seasoning blends, deodorant, laundry detergent etc. Stores are shifting to less variety so they can fill the demand for the most popular items. Manufacturers are responding in like kind and many are only selling certain scents, flavors, sizes etc to certain stores or locations; others are discontinuing the “underperforming sales” products completely.